Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
MARV

Default All things NADA.............

Made it to Tony Dupaquier's session (The Secret's to Credit Approval in Today's Market) and it was worth every minute! Tony is an EXCELLENT communicator/orator. Unlike some speakers that stand behind a podium and spout rehearsed words from printed material or teleprompters he made terrifc use of his experience and abilties.

One cute funny though, one participant asked a question that brought down the house. "What if a customer doesn't have a down payment. Can we increase the selling price and show a down payment to get the deal bought?" Gotta love it!

Great job Tony! I would attend your class again.

Many other little tidbits including tons of classic cars on display, HUGE Ford presence, drab and weak Toyo booth with little attendance, Chryco's booth had almost no product (go figure), GM forgot how to make it to Orlando so they had no product except for some of the classics that others brought, menu companies, lender booths and pretty girls everywhere.

We signed up for a terrific product named V Auto. Check it out www.vauto.com
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Granch

I've had Vauto here for about a month, I still cant figure what the point is!
All it does is tell you where your cars are priced compared to others in the area.

problem is it is not all vehicles lsited on all major sites on the net, and the average they use is skewed...

take a second look before you shell out the $$$
Granch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
MARV

I didn't sit in on the presentation but I'm told that the advantage to the program monitoring all the websites is that it lets us know where to price ours so that we're in the top 7 or so units effectively getting the prospect's attention. Used car manager likes it and so does the Inet manager. I like it because it has accurate up to date auction pricing and can show book values of NADA, BB or any other guide of choice side by side thereby cutting my time down when inputting values to banks that use different guides. NO contract! We can nix it if we don't like it. Take that DT!
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Granch

Im not trying to knock it, just in my market it isn't much help, may work better for you. heres a few things i noticed...

It compares pricing, but vehicles are not always equal. Say your vehicle is a Grand Cherokee X with leather and roof. It will lump the pricing in with cloth cars and tell you yours is priced too high..

In the comparitive pricing, vehicles advertised less trade online (which some dealers do here, dont know about where you are), say $3000, will always make your cars look too expensive.

when you adjust your prices to make them competitve because it says they are priced too high, the adjustment you make isnt uploaded to any sites, so in essence you are spending your time adjusting prices just for the sake of doing it...you will be better off slammin yer head against the wall.

It will give you 3 trade in prices, rbook, nada and Galves...It's good if you're gonna retail the trade, but other than that its just a fancy way to look at Galves. I use Galves online. I have put a vehicle in Vauto by vin, and got galves pricing. I have also put the vin in Galves online, and Vautos Galves came in 500 to 800 higher on the same car....

As you can see im not a huge fan, i also dont mean to burst anyones bubble. My experience is that all it is a great way to kill 4 hours a day!

They sell it as a live market evaluation, it isnt...
Granch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

MARV - Thanks for the report on your trip to NADA, I really appreciate it.

What was the overall mood and morale of the dealers and vendors? I got the impression that Automotive News was trying to hype the event to make it appear that it was very busy. I recall reading one report that DealerTrack needed to fly-in reps from other markets just to handle the flood of business.

Concerning the seminars, I think that's the best reason to go to NADA.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Anyone else using vAuto?

Granch - Thanks for your comments regarding vAuto.

One of my goals when I first thought of this forum was the benefit that would be served by having dealers share their experience with different vendors.

Is there anyone else who's using vAuto?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
dodgequality

http://www.autonews.com/article/2010...100219901/1379

NADA. This is the kind of friend we rejected Dealers need.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
crowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
http://www.autonews.com/article/2010...100219901/1379

NADA. This is the kind of friend we rejected Dealers need.
Wow! Look at the comment JEFFREY_DUVALL wrote.
Talk about the fox guarding the henhouse.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
57years

In this forum there were some discussions of Vauto. Any further comments from those using it? Would you do it again? Does Vauto increase your unit turnover? Have you really confirmed aging is "more comfortable?" If you prefer, I would encourage "PM" to keep out of the public postings if you have details.

Thanks,
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
If you prefer, I would encourage "PM" to keep out of the public postings if you have details.

Thanks,
Hell, this place has been too quiet lately - we need more public postings.

I'll create a new thread asking about vAuto tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
57years

Did I step on your toes?? Sorry!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Did I step on your toes?? Sorry!
No, not at all....

I was just thinking the forum's been so quiet lately that the last thing it needs is fresh topics to be shifted to PMs. I've been tied up with some family issues and it's been difficult to find the time to add new content.

I also think a new thread on vAuto would be interesting - didn't they get bought-out recently? (I'll start a new thread and then do some research.)
Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
57years

V auto was recently purchased by Autotrader. I think I read on the forum, that Autotrader is in the process of preparing an IPO, as they need cash. There was another purchase Autotrader made recently, and I just can't remember what it was.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
V auto was recently purchased by Autotrader. I think I read on the forum, that Autotrader is in the process of preparing an IPO, as they need cash. There was another purchase Autotrader made recently, and I just can't remember what it was.
Hope not that would mean Manheim Auctions is looking for cash since both companies are owned by Cox Enterprises. Which has TV stations, Newspapers, Cable Company, Kudzu.com and Valpak.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the information - that does sound familiar.

Concerning AutoTrader, I don't get the impression that they need to generate cash, I get the impression that the Private Equity firm that holds a position in AutoTrader wants the ability to access their capital and an IPO is one way to do that.